With each of my three pregnancies, as I entered the latter weeks (anywhere from 30 weeks on or even from about 35 weeks on), I began to move into the zone of looking ahead to the birth.
BE CURIOUS ABOUT BIRTH!
In some cultures, past and present, where birth is not taken into the confines of hospitals, little girls and women are regularly, happily and normally exposed to birth as older sisters, aunts and their own mothers give birth amid the support of other women. Nobody can totally prepare any of us when it becomes time for we ourselves to give birth, but we don’t have to face a complete unknown.
Unfortunately we don’t typically get to attend births in Ireland: unless it’s a homebirth, as most hospitals have a policy of only allowing one birth partner (have you been to a birth? I would love to know!) but we can certainly be curious about birth! Look up birth stories online and on books to try to make up for our lack of exposure to real birth: there are amazing birth stories and videos all over the internet.
- And believe it or not, Instagram is full of very powerful birthing videos shared very generously by the women who experienced them. We don’t have to be shy or removed from birthing any longer.
Also, very accessible and very striking and insightful are Ina May Gaskin’s books that are packed with wonderful birth stories from the unique birthing village in Tennessee:
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth
- Spiritual Midwifery
- Birthing from Within by Pam England is beautiful way to get ideas to tap your inner strength for preparing for birth
- Preparing for Birth by Bridget Sheeran (midwife) is a gorgeous colouring book focusing on birth: I have some copies of this available to buy (ask me!)
- Much more I shall add as I go ….
BIRTH TALKS AT YOGA BLOOM
From time to time I aim to facilitate BIRTH TALKS: a Chat and Practical Focus on the yoga techniques we learn in pregnancy that can specifically be brought to the birth experience. I would love for any pregnant woman beginning to look ahead to the birth experience – or who isn’t sure yet – to join me! ♥ Get in touch to find out when the next talk will be